Back to postings
Technical Team Lead
Department: Enterprise Systems
Reports to: Enterprise Systems Manager
Location: Richmond, BC
Who we are
At TuGo, we’re committed to helping travellers and partners have better experiences. To sum it up: We help—however we can. That’s why we’re one of Canada’s leading travel insurance providers and a Canada’s Best Managed Company!
TuGo’s Enterprise Systems department builds innovative software solutions using modern and leading edge computing technologies to support customer facing solutions, organization wide processes and information flows, data analysis and reporting. As part of the team, you’ll play an active role in contributing creative and fresh ideas, working with experienced developers and designers who love solving complex requirements.
TuGo is privately owned with headquarters in Richmond, BC. We have over 170 employees in offices across Canada.
What you'll do
TuGo is undergoing a digital transformation, developing new and innovative technology solutions to dramatically scale their platforms and build new products. We are looking to add a Technical Team Lead with a proven record of leading and influencing a technology overhaul using nothing but the best products, patterns, and practices and thrives in an agile environment. You possess an entrepreneurial get-it-done attitude, and a deep understanding of designing back-end systems to support an online technology ecosystem. You have a proven track record in managing software developers in an internal or external (out-sourcing/off-shoring) environment.
The Enterprise Systems technology team aspires to build value driven distributed software using pragmatic approaches. We strive to keep codebases small and manageable. We're interested in reactive design patterns that will make our systems more resilient and responsive, yet remain elastic to change. As we proceed through our technology roadmap we are evaluating new community endorsed technologies for every tier of our platform. Our backend tiers are presently JVM-based. We are using or considering technologies like Jersey for REST, Java 8, Sprint Boot, Kafka, Couchbase, Elastic Search, Oracle, Hadoop, Spark, Docker, AWS, and so on.
- Create an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture.
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Act as the primary liaison between other technical teams for enterprise system related matters.
- Effective working in an Agile environment able to lead as a scrum master.
- Delegate duties and tasks within Enterprise team effectively leveraging architect and developers skill sets.
- You push for better development practices, better code, better solutions.
- Always have quality in mind and you employ community accepted testing principles, best practices, and tooling.
- Responsible for the technical planning, execution, and maintenance of enterprise systems and integrations.
- Solve complex problems by leading the analysis, design and development of technical solutions.
- Work daily with Digital Platform’s and Digital Solutions team to ensure the best products possible are being built.
- Create and execute the phased product delivery roadmap based upon an online strategy.
- Prepare and provide cost estimates and analysis, budgeting and resource utilization for all assigned new and ongoing projects.
- Recommend programming, documentation and system support standards and best practices. Also assist with tactical planning by recommending technologies for the company.
- Perform analysis of present systems and operations; define business informational requirements; recommend improvements to systems and methods of implementation; documents aforementioned.
- Confer with user departments to define application needs to ensure satisfaction with information systems. Participate in the instruction of company personnel.
- Design logic for individual programs and systems of advanced complexity, and recommend supporting file and data storage structures. Write corresponding program specifications.
- Create a high performing, engaged team by effectively using performance management.
- Achieve performance targets.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with team members and all other teams.
- Responsively and effectively handle issues.
- Look for ways to improve customer experience.
- Promote and model TuGo culture, values, and brand promise.
- Continuously build professional and technical expertise.
- Other duties as required.
What you'll bring
- Five plus years’ software development experience, passionate about technology and a fast learner
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Experience with agile and test driven test methodologies
- Previous systems level software development experience with highly complex, distributed systems product
- Expertise in latest Java enterprise technology: Java, Resful APIs, Spring Boot, Hibernate, CDI, Elastic Search, Gradle, Drools
- Familiar with distributed systems architecture such as SOA or Microservices
- Familiar with architecture patterns such as API gateway, reactive design, event driven and asynchronous messaging
- Experience securing applications from API to data layer, security standards such as PCI, OAuth2, OpenID, SAML, JWT Web Token
- Knowledgeable in big data technologies such as Kafka, Couchbase, Mongo, Elastic Search, Akka, Hadoop, Spark
- Strong experience in NoSQL and relational data modeling
- Experience developing REST based web service APIs, understand web semantics translation into a REST API
- Practical experience using GIT version control (e.g. SourceTree)
- Experience with enterprise SaaS technologies such as: Zoho CRM, BI & Reporting, Agresso ERP, ShipHero
- Previous Scrum or Kanban training considered an asset
- Experience performance tuning JVM based applications
- Familiar with cloud computing platforms Amazon, Azure
- Familiar with a web framework such as Grails, Node.js, Meteor, Play, Bootstrap, Angular
- Ability to work in a fast-paced organization where a sense of urgency is applied and where adapting to changes per the needs of our projects is necessary
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Strong team player and positive contributor
- Well-developed analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Able to consistently live our values of being purposeful, achievement-oriented, cohesive, evolutionary and treating others as you want to be treated
- A strong customer experience focus
- A passion for continuous learning and professional achievement
- A passion for travel
- Successful completion of a criminal record check
Apply to TuGo
If you’re passionate about providing better customer experiences, and this position fits your career plan, send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Back to postings